POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : stereo image creation : stereo image creation Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  stereo image creation
From: Paul Bourke
Date: 1 Apr 2004 03:30:17
Message: <pdb_NOSPAM-174B1A.18301401042004@news.povray.org>
Wolfgang

Regarding your proposal to "toe in" your cameras for stereo. Sure it will work
but try it and you will find that as you move out from the center of the image
you will get increasing vertical parallax introduced. Our visual system can cope
with that easily but if you plan to create long stereo sequences then your viewers
will experience increased eye strain. What you propose is quite common in filming
with commodity cameras because of the low resolution, it depends on whether
you want to achieve a uptimal result or not.

ps: Can I suggest you think in terms of distance to zero parallax instead of
"window distance". Make your eye separation 1/30 of this zero parallax distance.
Zero parallax being the distance at which things will appear to at the screen,
this way you can deal with arbitrary units rather than using our human eye
separation and scaling everything to our human scale. There are times when real
eye separations are important, the main ones are
1. multiple or very wide angle screens
2. attempting to create real world 1:1 scale impressions, eg it was important
   for this project
   http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/stereographics/vroom/
   http://www.vroom.org

--